Monday, March 15, 2010

charlie.

Its neat when God places someone in your life who says the exact words you needed to hear that day.
I have this patient (we will call him Charlie, because that it is his real name and unless I tell you his last name, its not against HIPAA laws) who is always so encouraging when he comes in. In December 2008 when Dad had his gallbladder surgery, Charlie had an appointment right before I left to go to the hospital. I told him about Dad's upcoming surgery and before he left, while we were both still sitting down, he just grabbed both my hands and began praying for the surgery, for the doctors, for dad, and for peace. I felt a little awkward for a few seconds, but it ended up being so meaningful.
At his next appointment, probably in March or April of 2009, I told him I was going to Africa for the dental mission trip. He came back a few days later to have a filling done and came to my room and handed me a check to go towards the support money I needed to raise.
He always seems to come in on days when I could use a little encouragement.
I've been going through some stuff that has been tough at times, but I have definitely leaned on God more than ever. He has given me peace and security and I'm realizing He is all I need and I'm realizing how amazing Jesus' grace to us is. How filthy and sinful and unworthy humans are.
ANYWAY. This morning I looked at the schedule and saw Charlie's name at 3:00. To be honest my heart sank a little because I knew he would ask me what had been going on in my life, and sometimes its just easier to not talk about things. As predicted, before I even finished taking his bitewings, he asked about what had been going on in my life. I quickly began talking about the half marathon and the training I've been doing for that and how I'm feeling about the race. Later he again was asking about what had been going on in my life, and everything just kind of poured out. I told him broadly about the things I'd been dealing with and trying to work through and told him at times God felt so real and so strong and sometimes it feels like He's not even there or doesn't care.
He said do you think God loves you enough to guide you through things that are painful because he sees that the road you are currently headed on is even more painful? He said that if people always got everything we wanted we would be miserable people. He told me that my relationship with Christ was more important than any thing or any relationship on earth. (which I knew, but still..its different to hear someone verbalize it.)
I am just thankful that I feel like God sent him to speak to my heart today. I have felt better since he talked to me and even though I know it won't always "feel" good to go through tough times, God had a big plan and just because we don't see it doesn't mean He doesn't love us and care about us.
I just love to talk to people who are SO passionate about Jesus. Charlie talks about Jesus all the time. He was talking about setting up your "eternal retirement" instead of focusing on earthly goods... and how Christianity was about more than the "mowing your neighbors yard good deed of the day, Joel Osteen point of view" I was walking past as he was checking out at the front desk and He was talking about God to the receptionist. Not in a pushy, self-righteous way but just in a Jesus has done so much for us and its all that matters way. In a way that affects people and changes their views on things to point to Jesus Christ and away from the pointless things of the world.

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me of something the kids and I read today in our Bible time. We are studying Exodus and the author pointed out that God didn't take the Israelites on the straightest, easiest, happiest journey to the Promised Land but He took them on a journey that would teach them to trust Him. He does the same for us because He loves us. Praying for you!
    Love, Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you have a Charlie in your life, Lisa. (You can always talk to YFU also, you know) :o)

    PS. Glad to see comments are working on your blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey lis- wanted you to first know that i love you and i am so glad God blessed you through charlie. i love seeing how he uses people around us to impact us and speak truth into our lives if we will let him and be open and real. you are amazing! i love that we are friends. :)
    -beth

    ReplyDelete